There has always been something that has drawn me to leaves changing colors, and heading from a time of growth, into a time of dormancy. It is a bittersweet reminder of goodbye’s, at least for now and I think thats why I have always wanted to go. The leaves change, they fall, life goes stale for a while, but in a few months, things spring up anew!
Having never been to New England, my journey will be a round-trip in and out of Boston! I also plan on a 9 day trip, driving it myself 🙂 Here is how it would break down*.
- Day 1: Arrive in Boston, get rental car, check into Hotel.
- Day 2: Tour Boston
- Day 3: Drive from Boston to Providence, Rhode Island, but detour through the Costal Wine Trail, but still make time to tour Providence too!
- Day 4: Drive from Providence to Deerfield, MA, enjoying Old Sturbridge Village on my way.
- Day 5: Drive from Deerfield to Hanover, VT and take in all of the fall foliage along the Connecticut River.
- Day 6: Drive from Hanover, VT to Conway, NH. Stopping in Franconia Notch State Park, I would have to take the Ariel tramway up the summit of Cannon Mountains. This evening finish with dinner on the Conway Scenic Railroad.
- Day 7: Drive from Conway, NH to Portland, ME, stopping in Naples to broad the Songo River Queen II paddle boat.
- Day 8: Portland ME to Portsmouth, NH, driving through the seaport cities along the way.
- Day 9: Portsmouth to Boston. Return rental Car and fly home!
Total milage: 700!
Total Price: approx. $2300. (flights, car rental, lodging and activities. Does not include meals!)
*I found this ideal itinerary at http:www.discovernewengland.org. Photo credit to the New Hampshire Office of Tourism.